View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 09:37 PM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Still a stupid thing to do!!!

Originally Posted by xxshine
When that inertia switch fails, the motor won't start. Then you have to run down the problem and then buy the part. And what if the switch fails far away from home. What are most people going to do. Answer is that they will have the vehicle towed at $$. By taking that inertia switch out, a piece has been eliminated and fewer problem points. I bypassed the fuel relay switch cause i got a bad switch and there's no return on electrical parts. So now i don't have that part to fail, either.
You also don't have a important safety item on the truck anymore. A few years back, I was travelling on I-95 in Fla and came up on a stepside that slammed into the Jersey barrier and then ran into the woods and caught fire. For whatever reason, the inertia switch did not trip. The driver and passenger were pinned with no way to get out, and everytime we thought we had the flames down, it flared back up, being fed fuel by the pump. we dumped over 100 POUNDS of dry-chem trying to put it out. The last 3-4 extinguisher loads I dumped straight into the cab trying to hold the flames at bay long enough for a pumper to arrive. Unfortunately, we ran out of extinguishers from stopping semi's before the engine arrived. When they did get there the truck was fully involved from the front bumper back to rear of the cab. There was a small dog in the back that I was able to get out when I planted a empty extinguisher thru the rear window and grabbed him out by the collar and tossed him to somebody behind the truck that had been passing me fresh extinguishers. Needless to say, the driver and passenger did not make it (double fatality). Can I say 100% they would have survived if it did not burn? NO, but I can say that the damage to the cab would most likely not have been a fatality scene without the fire.

Additionally, keep in mind, you are not only putting yourself at risk, but you are risking my life and my brothers lives (in addition to anyone you happen to get into a wreck with) as we are the ones who are running into the fray trying to put out the fire and save your @$$. And all because you want to save $25-30 on the cost of a replacement?