Old 09-01-2011, 03:15 AM
strewth
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Greywolf,

The front end I'm referring to is a Mitsubishi L300 van, but the same front ends are found on a number of Mitsubishi light commercials (vans and utilities).

The L300 and its siblings with the same front end cover a lot of years (roughly 1979 to 1993) L300 in Australia, Europe and New Zealand, also known as an Express and Starwagon in Australia, and plain Mitsubishi Van and Wagon in the US. They are prolific in Australia.

The XP and other early Ford Falcons (1961 - 1966, same as the Ford Sprints over in the US of the same vintage) front chassis is pretty straight forward, same as a Mustang of the same vintage really. The upside with the L300 front ends is that they are a complete unit manufactured by a well-known car maker so everything on them passes the ADR's (Australian Design Rules), makes having the car's engineering inspection for modified vehicle registration easier and cheaper. As a bonus they are relatively to stupidly easy to fit up if you have some skills.

As a commercial vehicle they can support considerably more weight (legally, for registration and engineering inspections etc.) than those way over priced off the shelf setups (The L300 type sell regularly for around $150 complete) and service parts for them are cheap and available everywhere over the counter.

And to be fair, anything built in the 30's and 40's is pretty agricultural so lots of flat surfaces on the chassis and painless to modify. The front end's I speak of are the life blood of Aussie Hot Rod and classic custom builders.

And there we go again, thank you Gerywolf for making me think about this response, I answered my own question

Now, to find those pesky specifications for the original 20" wheels.