View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clutch Springs, Z bars, and Other stuff

I put a new clutch in my truck a little over a year ago, and have driven about 4000 miles on that clutch. I was careful to make sure there was a little space at the top of the clutch pedal throw when I finished adjusting to try and ensure I wouldn't be burning on the throw out bearing all the time.

Now recently my truck has become just this side of impossible to shift into 1st or reverse unless the truck in shut off. I thought that perhaps I hadn't tightened the backup nut, and the clutch adjustment had had walked back, because I now have about 3/4 of the pedal motion doing nothing, and the last couple inches engaging all I get. I tried to adjust the rod out, and I am out of rod. I only have a few threads in the the adjuster, so I dare not go any further, or I could lose parts on the road.

Did I adjust the clutch wrong, and burn it up??

Is the spring supposed to go from the clutch arm to the z bar, or to something more stationary?

How can I tell if I have the right rod for a 66 F-100, 240-6 with the 3.03 3 speed on the column?

I did just completely rebuild all of the steering, so if that could effect it let me know.

I also noticed in my recent time under the truck that the cab mounts that looked solid a year ago are caving. I know this causes shifting issues. Could this be what is happening??

I know there is a bunch of info here, but I find people often remind me of the details I forgot and it has effects on their answers. So I tried to be as complete as possible.