Thread: Oil Capacity?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
postman24
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycsteve
Well heres what happened after I changed the oil in the 2 vehicles I mentioned. To recap, I was wondering if there was a property of the synthetic blend oil that kept it from draining completly when changing, based on an overfill in both my 6.2 and a 2008 Sable I bought used that had the first oil change done by the dealer.
In the case of the Sable, the answer was easy, the dealer put in 6 quarts by thier own addmission, in checking the manual, it calls for 5 1/2 quarts. The dealer overfilled by 1/2 a quart.
In the case of the 6.2 , I noticed that more oil will come out of the drain after the filter is removed. Its my habit to drain the case and replace the nut, before removing the filter as its easier to catch oil coming from one spot at a time. This time I removed the nut after having replaced it after draining the case when I removed the filter. There was a fresh flow of oil after the filter was removed. This time 7 quarts was on the money.
As for doing what the book says and blindly adding the full 7 quarts with the resposibility falling on Ford, consider this quote from the manual,
" Do not overfill the engine with oil. Oil levels above this mark may cause engine damage. If the engine is overfilled , some oil must be removed from the engine by an authorized dealer. "
As far as I can see Ford has stated in thier manual that you must check the dipstick and its readings to be assumed accurate. In a worse case senerio, overfilling by dipstick readings will void thier warrenty. I've almost always changed my own oil over the years and have found the dipsticks to be accurate . In this case it was my own mistake causing a bad reading, and the mistake of the dealer in the Sable case. Also, I think the synthetic blend oil takes longer to drain out than traditional oil, I'll be allowing for longer drain time with future changes.
I've owned many vehicles during my lifetime. I always put the exact amount of oil that the manual states and have NEVER had a problem. The 6.2 requires 7 quarts of oil and that's exactly what I put in. I rarely check the dipstick unless I suspect that a vehicle is burning oil. Ford would not state that this engine requires 7 quarts if it needs only 6 1/2 quarts. Unless one doesn't know how to completely drain the oil.