View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kurtisshaw
I was told that the air pump or smog pump what ever people call it. i was told that it only works on start up to clean the exhaust up by adding more fresh air in to clean i up for air care testing. so after tha engine is running it stops working and just spins making a noise that is very irritating.............
(AIS) is designed to introduce clean air to the engine exhaust as it exits the exhaust manifold or exhaust headers. Exhaust gases are at their hottest as they leave the combustion chambers. Introducing oxygen to the exhaust at this point allows continued burning of the fuel mixture as it travels down the exhaust system and ultimately out the tailpipe.

Its a constant catalyst...

As far as law governing the system ( just for info we all dont care)

Note: During the smog test the air injection system is only visual inspected. The smog technician will not insure the proper operation of this system, rather he or she will only verify that the system is installed and properly connected.

Will aftermarket headers cause my car to fail the smog test?

The answer is yes. Exhaust headers, not to mention the entire AIR Air injection system is an "emissions component". Any modification to the headers, intake manifold, or exhaust manifold, including removal of a "Y" tube from the exhaust pipes (if equipped) is considered an emissions tamper. Your vehicle will fail the smog inspection even before the tailpipe exhaust is checked.

Just make sure to know your areas testing place and if they care/check.

I post this caz IN MA we are emission exempt with this era truck. Some places check , some don't.. I have a "friend" and can pass anything, new or old.