Thread: Knob idiocy
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 06:03 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
**** idiocy

I'm wrapping up on my 1963 1/2 V8 Ranchero project and finally got to some missing *****.
Specifically the choke, temperature and vent *****. My Ranchero came with the white with chrome inset *****. I have black *****, custom (weird shaped) and solid chrome ***** on hand, but I want all the ***** to match.
So I ordered some from one of the major Falcon/Ranchero supply houses.

Odd thing, when I got this Ranchero, it came with extra new *****, but they didn't fit anything on the truck. Small (10-24) brass inserts that don't screw on to any part of the dash equipment.

Anyway, I ordered the three ***** from their catalog, checking them on line, etc.

The ***** arrived, and of course, they are the same 10-24 threaded, don't fit anything ***** the previous owner bought and left in the parts he couldn't use box.

Enclosed is a piece of paper telling you to 'take the controls to a local machine shop and have them turned down to take a thread fit'.

That is beyond stupid.
No machine shop in my area would do it, of course. I asked a few and got laughed at. I had spare controls along to show what was needed.
Finally one guy who said, "well, maybe, but it will cost 100 buck each", and he didn't want to do it.
Don't blame him, you can't exactly turn them on a lathe with all the cables, etc.
Besides, it would look, well stupid. The threaded holes are not deep enough to actually go far enough down the shaft. You would have to cut off the end, reduce the end diameter (about 50%), then thread the end. As each shop said, chances are, it wouldn't work, the cable would be damaged, and besides, it would 'look funny'.

Part that makes me angry, no mention that these parts won't fit, or work as sold, either on line or in the catalog.

These parts would be easy to fabricate, if you were casting the '10-24' parts already.
But they obviously don't give a D_n about their customers.

Even a polite 'Must be machined to fit' on their site would help.

I needed the ***** so I drilled the centers out, and epoxyied the ***** in place, but I would have much rather had the right part.

Anyone know of an honest vendor who actually sells the dash *****?