View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
you do realize the extent of the camera harness right?

it runs from the tailgate, up the left side of the frame, into the engine bay, loops near the drivers headlight, cuts a u-turn and then goes back to the cabin. near the e-brake, it splits and then goes back down the drivers side floorboard. at the rear of the cab, the harness goes up and then comes fwd to the rearview mirror.

I am installing a 2009 F-150 tailgate emblem camera (got from Nailsandsails also btw) with a 2010 F-150 rearview mirror into my 2006 F-250. The camera came with the tailgate/tail-light harness. I was going to purchase the harness like you were, but once I started digging through my Ford Repair DVD, I realized how pointless that would be.
my solution was to grab 2 Monster brand RCA cables I had laying around that were 10' long. I cut the ends off, soldered them together and now I have 20' of camera cable. Plan is to route everything tomorrow. Hopefully it all works first time

it will work exactly like a OEM setup because the reverse trigger wire is fed to the rearview mirror. no need for relays or any other special wiring. I love it when Ford makes something easy
The camera has 5 wires going to it. 1 hot (when key on), 1 ground, a + signal, a - signal, and a shield wire.

The + and - are wrapped by the shield wire and go into the cab using that route I mentioned above. At the mirror the shield terminates (not connected) and the +/- feed in. There is a reverse trigger wire that your truck already has. Below is a pin-out showing the Camera and mirror power schematic for a 2009. Should be identical for your 2011

btw, when you have the backup camera, and the Sync system, the Mic gets added to the mirror. Not sure how that will work with your truck having the mic in the visor

Name:  RearBumperHarnessConnections.jpg
Views: 9440
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  Connections.jpg
Views: 15060
Size:  55.3 KB

Name:  CameraWireDiagram.jpg
Views: 13602
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  CameraWireDiagram2.jpg
Views: 9579
Size:  49.5 KB