Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 PM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stutzismydog
Nycsteve~
I have been hoping that someone would post a review of a 6.2 carrying a truck camper and you have and answered my wishes. I also have an extended cab 2008 Job 1, F250, 6.4 that has caused me a considerable amount of grief mechanical wise to the point that I have retained a Calif. Limon Law Attorney to rectify my loss,….things are going good for a complete buy back.
I have a BigFoot 2500 C8.11 B that fits in a short pickup bed and weighs 2900# wet. The F250, 6.4 with Firestone Airbags at 70 PSI handled the camper and my two ATV on a trailer like a champ, with all of the power and handling that made for a comfortable trip to the outback’s of Nevada and Arizona,… but unfortunately the 6.4’s unreliability factor while being out in the boondocks was too much hustle for me to continue to keep that pickup and it only has 13,000 miles and is paid for.
I will no longer will look at a diesel powered pickup, the additional $8,000 cost , $ 0.30 P/G extra for fuel, much higher maintenance costs and contending with EPA’S giant screw up mandating the DPF curse that was cast on the diesel powered industry, is more than I want to contend with. I am now looking at a gas powered ¾ to 1 ton pickup to haul the camper and have been looking at the Ford 6.2L gas that you have reported on. GMC/Chevy. also has a 6.2 411 HP , Gas but they only place it into their ½ ton pickups,…you would think that Ovomit motors would meet Fords 6.2 challenge and install their 6.2 in a ¾/1 T pickups,….but NO !!! GM with their 6.0 L gas is a “DOG” in today’s 2500 market. I have not looked at the comparable gas powered Dodge pickups and plan to do that as I am no longer a brand compelled purchaser but will be looking for the best and most reliable combination.
Keep us posted on more comments about your 6.2 gas F350 camper combination and any upgrades that you install. I would also be curious about what other RV forums that reference the 6.2 as their choice for a slide in camper pickup.
Thank you.
Forgot to mention, my truck has the 4.3 rear. Maybe thats why it does better in soft sand in 4X4. Also I have the E-Lock Rear Diff.
The RV forum is RV.net in the truck camper forum. I'll try to post a link.............

RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

Search for posts from a member named Matho , his review of his new 6.2 eas the clincher for me. Plus theres tons of good TC info on that site.