View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 03:24 AM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TigerDan
If you didn't have any lifter noise problems before, I wouldn't mess with the lifters. The '89 2.9 should have (as I recall) non-adjustable rockers, so there's no preload adjustment needed on the lifters. You can clean or even rebuild the injectors yourself, there are kits available to do that. Not too much involved with the process really, but I'd probably just clean them.
I stuck a 2.9L out of a 1990 BroncoII into my 88 ranger.. it had adjustable rockers..i've never seen a 2.9L with non adjustable rockers..must have been something Ford did on the very last of the 2.9's...mine ran very good and quiet for a while.. no noise at idle and maybe a little at higher RPM's..the ticking has been getting progressively worse..it now ticks at any speed..i always keep the oil changed in it, so the lifters shouldn't been sludged up, i also replaced the oil pump and screen before i stuck the engine into my Ranger the engine was clean inside..should've had the cam bearings done before i stuck it in the truck..