View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 PM
bar-acres
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 F-150 XLT Extend Cab, 300cid 6 cyl, 2WD, Dual Tanks

Hello All, after reading this thread slowly and carefully, I have thought of another solution to the dual tank selector valve/fuel guage problems that plague this series of Ford Trucks.

But first my problem: Fuel guage does not work on one tank, and only very occassionally on the other tank. It seems one tank is always fuller and both tanks are not reliable when estimating Miles To Empty. Here in Texas, I need a Fuel Gauge!

My first idea to a solution: Replace the Fuel Tank Selector Valve with an aftermarket Pollack valve...The one Ibought has no return ports. Then I could just cap off the return lines to the tank. Also, I could do away with the return line from the motor (SINCE MY TRUCK IS CARBUERATED). YES, IT'S CARBUERATED!

WHY would FORD put such a RUEB GOLDBERG system on this truck...other than to only use existing parts off their shelves...knowing they would rake in the huge bucks on replacement parts---does this sound about right?

My second idea to a solution (after reading this thread): Replace the Dual Fuel Tank Selector Valve with two Single Tank Reservoirs from "86-89" Bronco/II thereby only slightly modifying the routing of the 6 lines and eliminating the problems of crossfilling, valve malfunctions, etc. I can make a bracket to mount the two single tank reservoirs side by side off the frame.

I think my second idea will fix all the problems associated with the dual reservoir system AND it will also aide in troubleshooting problems with tanks, sending units, in-tank fuel pumps, tank selector switch & wiring problem identification. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF IDEA #2 ?

I will check this in a few days for any ideas/problems/suggestions that this forums members can see/shoot holes in the second idea to a solution.
Thanks for a great knowledge base, isn't the internet great!