View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 AM
OmahaEcoBoost
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
I think the EB line of engines is "moving in the right direction", but I also think Ford has a long ways to go when it comes to advertising meeting reality. I purchase a 2011 F150, mainly because of the EB claims of fuel economy along with the power.

The power is nothing short of outstanding, but the fuel economy is just not there. Now before anyone jumps on me about my driving habits....it's not that. I drive this truck lighter and easier than any vehicle I have ever owned, and for the first three months that best highway mpg I could achieve was 16. That was achieved on a flat, level road, with the cruise set at 64mph (I was traveling in Canada at the time).

After compiling three typed pages of issues with the truck over the first 3 months of ownership, and finally getting an appointment at the dealership.....the truck was there for over a week. When the dealer could find nothing in the way of codes, they turned to Ford for help. Three days later Ford told them to "reflash" both the PCM and TCM.
It was then that I learned that since my truck was built, Ford has issued 2 completely new versions of software for all engines built between 1 Jan-1 Apr 2011 (mine was built 19 Feb). This has helped most of the issues my truck is having, including the MPG. The kicker is that Ford had released the software, but unless a truck owner goes into the dealership complaining of issues, they will never know.
Personally, as I understand more about software/hardware integration on these trucks, I realize that it would be a simple matter for Ford to offer 2-3 "tunes" from the factory....one for MPG, one for performance, and one for towing. Let's face it, right now these engine/trucks are tuned to a "one size fits all" configuration, and in my my case, experience with the truck has proven that Ford's top priority is NOT MPG.
I purchased the EB because of the advertised fuel economy...the power was just icing on the cake.
Back to the specific topic.....yes, the EB is a move in the right direction, BUT, I believe the engine is capable of a lot more MPG than what Ford is currently allowing.
I can remember in the mid 80s...my Father-in-Law was running the Ford Explorer assembly line in Louisville, KY....and he talked about a carb that Mobile oil had purchased the rights to in a "closed door" deal, that was suppose to get 60mph out of a 400cid engine.

I agree....auto makers have always been "in bed" with big oil...the government knows it, but those people are "in bed" with them too. When you see oil companies REPORTING billions in profit, I have little doubt that they are actually profiting MUCH more than what they report. Heck, when you see that Exxon/Mobile gets tax refund checks in the millions, and at the same time get subsidized by the government........
I understand your concerns but what I'm experiencing has left me feeling differently. This isn't some brag about crazy MPGs either. I've consistently pulled 17-18 MPG in my regular commuting/driving for awhile now. Pretty darn good for a SCREW. I've now hit 5,500 miles and with about 50 miles remaining on this tank, I'm pulling 19.3 MPG. If I can get that going forward on my 50/50 hwy/city commute, I'll be estatic. I've never pulled anything less than 20 MPG on the highway. Under those parameters, I consider the Eco engine a huge success. If a majority of owners are in that area, then I think Ford did themselves well. If a lot are more in your range, then maybe you are more right.