Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Strokt350d
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyballgame
I've heard to get a chip or tuner installed on them, but have no clue about what the pros/cons are of them, and also if they will negatively effect the vehicle over time. I'm not happy with the 9.8 MPG I'm getting, coupled with the fact that the truck doesn't pull my 10,000lb trailer very well. It really struggles with that much weight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JBG
The stock truck tune makes the thing feel like it has no horsepower. It's the most "shift happy" thing I've ever driven. My truck will be in 6th gear at 37mph. The horsepower and torque it there for sure, it just has a funny way of showing it with the transmission strategies the way they are.

To prove it to yourself, take the truck out unloaded and floor it from a stop. Keep you foot on the floor. You'll see what it's got around 4500 rpm's right to the top. Then when it shifts, it pulls back to something stupid like 3500 rpm's....

From my reading, the tuner will fix most of this. Mike from 5star pulls 10k+ with what seems to be no issues at all.