Old 08-01-2011, 07:12 PM
atbear
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD FRED
atbear, your last question of which rear end ratio you should have is a good one that many people do not take into account especialy considering their individual situations. To actually give you the best advice on this matter I for one would need to know more about your situation. For one if you said which engine you wanted it got by me. Are you planning on putting bigger tires on it? Are most of your miles on the Interstate or on highways where you get to for the most part keep going with just the seldom red light or stop sign. Also city or town driving is a very relative thing. There is a very big difference in a 45 minute, 8 mile, 45 redlight trip across town on a daily basis for some and a 15 mile 23 minute trip thru or around town on a bypass that has 15 redlights but you generally only get caught at 5 of them. Having said all of that if you are going to get the 5.0 or the 3.5 eco a 3.55LS ratio is a good general purpose gear for the masses. I am like you in that I do not need a 4x4 but for me personally if I was getting a 3.5 eco I would get an XLT with the 3.15LS and keep the 17" wheels. For me in my pewrsonal stuation this would be ideal. But there are also many on here that should absolutrly be getting the 3.73LS becauce of how and where they drive. I am sorry for the long post but the BEST answer to your question would be based on facts not in evidence here yet.
Thanks. I will probably get the 3.5 EB. There's a chance I would get the 5.0L, but probably the EB.

As far as my driving, I live in the middle of Baton Rouge, so I drive mostly around the city, which has a lot of traffic. On a particular 10 mile commute, I might hit 7-10 red lights or stop signs. However, I also do a good bit of highway driving on Interstates. I usually travel 75-80mph on the Interstate. I don't tow very often. When I do, it's usually a 23' offshore boat (Boston Whaler).

Again, I'm not sure if I would get a 2WD or 4x4, and I know that's a big decision.