View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just think of everything else you could accomplish in those 4 years. You could start a business, write a book, draw art... You could do things so much more beneficial to you and the world around you..

Been there, done that. To think college is a waste right off the bat should be thought over thoroughly. Depending on your goals depends on how you are as a person and how much food you place on your plate that you have to eat! If you are hungry for what you have set, your plate will be clean when you retire.

Originally Posted by 21411
from the 23 year old with an associates degree;

if you waste time and energy in college then thats what it is. if your there for you expanding your mind or skills. it will be fun relaxing and rewarding. if money is the issue talk to a recruter i hear they have programs to help with college and experience.
College is not necessarily about what you learn but rather it teaches you how to think. I don't remember everything I learned in my classes but I do remember the concepts they taught.

ANYONE who is ready to choose their career read the comment just above that I have in quotations again and again until it clicks. Education is only sought out

I am 25 years old, will be 26 this coming fall so I better voice it before I am not allowed in here anymore lol. I knew what I wanted early, by 13 I knew I was going to wrench for a living and build things with an engine etc. My father taught me quality over quantity regardless of the profession. Being that timeis money since everything has been improved to allow faster production, quality has taken a back seat to quite a few. What does this relate to as far as education? Read the sentence I underlined. Education is very similar, you breeze through your courses, what do you learn? how to page through a text book without reading, think about that for a moment. ANyone could have spent 1000 dollars on one 5 week (or whatever length) class just to flip pages!

I have 4 years worth of technical training in both heavy duty truck and automotive repair. I worked with a relative restoring cars before then and did part time parts counter while I was in tech school. I was the tech college's auto club temporary president for just over a year, being a member for a year prior to that along with setting up other things that have helped the club that I am an Alumni of now. I not only represented a part of the student body I also seeked more knowledge that what the college offered in the courses I took. I had my nose in racing mags, books and in the garage because I wanted to succeed. I participated on a pit crew for a racing team on the ASA circuit during my tech school days, I was the pit chief for my sisters racing team as well. I worked summer doing concrete, fence building etc to pay the bills at that point in time. Why did I do this stuff? because I wanted to not only learn skills, but to accelerate my mechnical knowledge and skills.

Right now I write newsletters and manage for the car club myself and my buddy started in highschool, my studying hasn't stopped nor will it. I work as a full time truck and trailer parts counterman in NE Ohio area and enjoy it. My goal is to establish a automotive/truck/marine/small engine and racing shop at some point. The choices that I made in the past at tech school have changed my determination level from moderate to through the roof on getting my own deal rolling in the future.

Its like anything else you do in the world, you get out what you put in! To the people who sit and wonder too much are in a sense, sitting still, compared to the people who go out and grab the bull by the *****.

Not stimulating the brain is boring to me, but relaxation is needed for the brain to relax, your muscles to relax etc so YOU can learn efficiently and properly, you don't have to attend school wether be a tech or academic, but learning will always happen throughout the days you walk through proceeding down your own path.

This all comes back to my comment of your hunger and the amount of food you place on your plate. I placed a lot on mine, sometimes I think too much, albeit, if I didn't accept the responsibility of the car club at school I don't think I would be in the place I am now as far as my career choice in concerned.

You can always go back to or attend school at a later time in life if you feel you don't need to at the present moment, REMEMBER THAT!

If you know the path you want to go, let the passion show you want to and enjoy your choice. I did, tell you the truth my passion started off from reading HOT ROD

I made my decision and haven't looked back, no reason to when you have control of the bull chasing your dreams and letting the timid watch. I love doing what I do and will be unexplainable once I get to my business goal.

When you get a chance to do something you might like, think about it for a moment first before you choose. It could open a door you won't regret!

Hope my view sheds some light on what others think.