Old 07-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I went looking for the "weep hole" but could not find it! I assume its on the underside of the pump, which seems to be blocked from vision by the crankshaft pulley. I can find no evidence of coolant leakage, the level in the reservoir stays constant.

The fan clutch seems to be attached properly and functioning as it should. I can turn it more freely when the engine is cold, when hot it has more viscous drag when turned. But it turns smoothly in any event, and "roars" when first starting the truck but slows down later. I only recently learned about the fan clutch reading here. I think its a pretty neat device. I did read it is good practice to replace the fan clutch when replacing the water pump.

Can anyone suggest a good quality brand of water pump (I'm assuming Motorcraft is unavailable). Fan clutch?

Also, are there any other components (seals, pulleys, etc.) that are good to check and/or replace in conjunction with a water pump removal/installation job? I like to try to maximize the repairs when they are more efficiently done together.

I have replaced a thermostat myself but never a water pump. Two things I learned from that relatively simple job: 1) No mechanic would do as good of a job as I can myself (they would likely not meticulously remove all gasket material like I did, or wrap bolts in teflon, etc.); and 2) the difference in quality between the Motorcraft mounting gasket and the No-Name brand one from China was truly laughable.

It looks pretty tight in there, my truck has a full radiator shroud that will probably need to come off.

Thanks!