View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the world of FEs!

That thing sure is BRIGHT!! Look at my aluminum heads...not! lol

Here's my advice..

The Streetmaster intake while a very good intake is still a single plane that makes its power at higher rpms. I would get a dual plane intake. The factory CJ intake is one of the best but is still a Heavy (80lbs) cast iron sucker. If you're looking for an aluminum intake then I'd go with either the Edel. Performer or Performer RPM. The RPM makes about 20hp more peak hp. They make the SAME peak tq and avg. hp and tq. The Performer just makes it at a lower rpm. Under 3k Perf>RPM, over 3k RPM>Perf. I'll let you decide which you prefer.
I like the Lunati voodoo cams as well, but I would go to the next size, the 62001.

The factory intake, cam, and exhaust is what limited the rpm not the heads.

You need to check what pistons you have when you tear down, specifically the compression height. There are 2 options it could have been, 1.676 "truck pistons" or 1.776 "car pistons" (well theres a tiny bit of range but they'll be pretty close to one of these). What you want is the 1.776 pistons as this will give you a 9.5:1 static CR with standard .041 fel-pro gaskets. You'll have to check to see if it is still at standard bore. If it is the pistons in the 360 will fit and "should" be the ones you want. Ford recycled alot of parts and many 360s got leftover 390 4v pistons. If it's overbored and it has the "truck" pistons, new ones are usually $1-200 for a set of the cheaper ones, and upwards to $4-500 for a set of the perty nice ones.

There are oiling mods that I do to any FE. They can be found here oil
That is all the info you'll need and more on the mods. It'll keep it oiling smoothly for the life of the motor.

I think a 750cfm carb will be too much for this application. I'd go with a 650-670cfm carb. A lot of people are brand loyal but I've run Holley and Edel and both have worked fine. If you plan on doing some offroading then I would suggest the Edel 650cfm Thunder off road, or the Holley 670cfm truck avenger. If you're going to keep it pretty level then the standard versions of these will be fine.

I think that's everything, I probably forgot something I'm sure. lol