Thread: Rear main seal
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Kustomfiend
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear main seal

Gentlemen, I have searched this forum high and low for some advice and tips and found a number that were either unanswered or the topic went off into a tangent.

I'm about to embark on a trepadicious journey of installing new main cap seals on my 302, without taking the motor or the crank out. I have the Haynes manual and the original Ford workshop manual and both say it can be done...BUT...they omitted a couple of things that I'm not about to find out by error.

Sure, I removed the transmission (in favor of a clutch overhaul), the oilpan, but then it occured to me, if I was to loosen the main cap bolts to enable me to remove the offending seal, does this mean:
  1. That I need to remove the waterpump, the timing cover, the timing gear set, as this would hold the crank down? Or would it be safe to let the crank drop by no less that the specified 1/32" and not damage the front oil seal and timing set?
  2. Once the seal is in and the re-assembly starts, do I need to pay special attention to the connecting rod spacing with a feeler-gauge again?
Any advice and do-and don't will be appreciated.