View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mwsF250
Great advice, but the travel trailer is coming with us.

It is flat wrong to haul a BMW in the truck, and I am mighty embarrassed to even consider it. They are motorcycles, not trailer queens! I'm thinking I may put a cover with Harley logos on it to avoid the public humiliation.... We usually go on a week long wanderbout on the scooter for our anniversary, putting anywhere from 2 to 4K miles on it. But this year, my wife would like to stay in some places where hotels are scarce, so we're going to take the RV and then take day rides. We have done quite a bit of camping on the bike, but hauling the camping gear means hauling less personal stuff. And she likes the luxurious life on the anniversary week!
Sounds like a toyhauler may be in your future!

My motorcycle is no where near the weight yours is (XR650L, ~350lbs) but when loading it, it's tricky, and I can only more so with a heavier bike. Anything you can do to lessen the angle makes a HUGE difference. I hated loading my XRL into my old truck (6 1/2" lift with 37" tires). It was scary but the angle between my driveway and the street made it easier.

If you're worried about it, just take off the tailgate and strap the ramps to the bumper. It's easier to strap the ramps to the bumper than it is to the tailgate. Also lessens the angle some as well. I don't think you'd have any issue with it at all but that's easy for me to say as I'm not loading a beemer into the back!