View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you may be making the bearing packing into a bigger deal than it is (not to be harsh)

Buy a little tub of grease which will probably run like 4 bucks. Buy a can or two of brake cleaner. Get some pads and rotors if youre doing those, brake lube, cotter pins and that should be everything you need.

Use the brake clean to clean all the components and lube up the slider pins on caliper and back of brake pads. Good to go.

For the bearings, take them out and clean them off with a little bit of gasoline or something and then blow them off or whatever to dry them. (thats how I do it). Scoop some grease into the palm of your hand and use your other hand to push the bearing into the grease to pack it. It is the old school way of doing it but this new stuff with bearing packer cups is just a waste of money in my opinion. Afterward you will need some torque specs for putting it all back together.

Hopefully that helps. Its a fairly easy procedure and shouldnt take you too long. And in doing so, you will get the satisfaction of doing the work yourself. Also, if you needed to cut your rotors you can usually take them in to places and they will do it for a small fee.

But I do agree, stay away from Just Brakes and Meineke. Also, I have seen people at a Just Brakes in Florida who would intentionally tear boots on brake parts just to sell. Shady people.