View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
Bill,
I didn't get a manual with it. You have an extra? That would be great.
I have them in PDF format. If you PM me your email address I will send them.

Regarding the slider - you can leave it as a slider base if you want, or you can change the base kit to a standard base. Etrailer sells the kit:
Replacement Base Legs for Reese 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch - 16K, 18K & 20K Reese Accessories and Parts RP30727
Combine it with something like an electrical plug for inside your bed, and you'll get free shipping.

Why would you want to do that?

The slider base adds some weight, and if you take the hitch in and out of your bed frequently, you might appreciate that. Also, the slider might be a little looser than the standard base, which can add some chucking to the ride quality.

But you might want to keep it too. Many trailers now days are designed so that you cannot leave your tailgate down while backing into the hitch pin. The gate will hit the trailer if you try it. Mine is like that, and it is a PITA. I guess they figure you will use a Vee tailgate which is what I ended up doing. But with the slider, you can choose to slide the hitch to the rear for hitchup, and the tailgate will clear.