View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 AM
r2millers
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F-250 5th wheel hitch install, take 2

Hi All,
See if this thread works better then my last....

Just finished installing a used 5th wheel hitch in my F-250. After purchasing a Reese #30051 Slider and top rails from a 3rd party, I then needed the frame brackets to complete the job, knowing the original L-brackets from the original installation were welded onto the other guys frame.

Even though I have a long bed and a slider wasn't necessary, the price was worth the purchase.

First I must give a major shout out to Bill Pounds for taking numerous pictures of his hitch set up last night after 9 pm when we needed some info to go forward. Unbelievable!!! Thanks Bill.

Now, after not finding the standard L-brackets for this installation available separately #30035 and not needing another set of top rails, I found the "quik install mounting brackets" available from Reese, #50082.

As you can see below in the pictures, these brackets are 3/8" thick and pretty beefy for what I expect to be a +15k gvw toy hauler. These brackets allow for 3 of the 4 top rails to be directly connected to the truck frame. The last row (furthest forward) are only mounted into the bed. The L-bracket type only allow for 2 of the 4 to be directly frame connected, hence a little more confidence.

It only took about 4 hours to complete this installation, not needing to drill and holes into the truck frame for mounting. No need to remove the emergency brake bracket either as necessary with other installations.

Hope this helps others when making these choices.

Basic side view. No welding or drilling req.

You can see the beefy 3/8" frame brackets to allow the top rails a solid connection to the frame

The furthest most top rail row of bolts are only secured to the bed with the extra large washers

You can see the u-bolt that secures around the front of the bracket to the truck frame. Notice the way the bracket is cut to avoid moving the brake cable bracket

The center 2 bolts on the top rails only mount into the bed, again with larger washers.

Here you can see the driver side front. Half of the front top rail bolts mount directly to the frame bracket. The front row of bolts, mounts into the truck bed.

Top rails securely mounted with the hitch pins in place.

Finally completed. Time to head out of town!!!