Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM
iwals
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year did they start using computers?

I've searched FTE and Googled this question and can't find the answer. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question, but here goes: What year did Ford F150s come out with a computer? I know they've had electronic ignition since the early 70s, but what model year of the F150 did they introduce a "computer"?

The reason I ask is that I'm contemplating my next vehicle, although it may be some time from now. I currently have a 1986 with EFI and it is, of course, computerized and has all kinds of sensors. I think for my next truck I want a 300 I6, C6 transmission, no dual tanks, no EFI, and as few electronics as possible. So what is the newest F150 I can look at and say yes it has electronic ignition but no other electronics controlling the engine? Or could a carbeurated engine have the distributor changed to something that didn't require so much electronics?

Also, could a "crate engine" with a carbeurator be put in something relatively new but have the pollution stuff left off and not be hooked in to the computer? I'd even go manual choke if that would simplify the engine.