View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 11:15 PM
mattpalmeris
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tom that's great info.

I picked up a Tribute with a spun bearing/possibly broken connecting rod.

The cheapest engine I can find is $600 plus tax, plus $2-300 for shipping. On the flip side a Taurus pick a part motor is $225 with the short block being only $99. It sounds to me if I change the heads and the timing cover from the motor I have then I will have the motor I need for the Tribute and the crank position will be in the right spot.

Is that what you think? finding info on people who have done this swap is limited.

Matt

Originally Posted by tomw
From an engine builder trade pub:

"2001-'04 Taurus/Sable RFF Valvetrain
As with the 2000 models, the right head is c/n YF1E and left head is c/n YL8E. These heads still have 3 oval intake ports, but now have a rear water pump driven by the left intake cam. The right side cylinder head has a protruding ear to cover the oiling port for VVT, which is not being used.

2001-'04 Escape/Tribute RFF Valvetrain
Right head casting number is YF1E and left head is c/n YL8E. The right head has the protruding ear to cover the VVT port which is still not used. There are 3 oval shaped intake ports per cylinder head with the rear water pump driven by the left intake cam"

Seems if you get a 2001-2004 Taurus/Sable, it should work with the only difference being the front cover, changing the positioning of the sensor and the index of the toothed wheel.

Quote:
"2000-'05 Taurus/Sable
This cover (c/n 1F1E) was a mid-year introduction. There is nothing that confirms the 42-tooth timing components and this cover were introduced simultaneously but it seems likely. The tensioner mount moved from left side of the cover (right side of engine) to the right side of cover (left side of engine). The cam and crank position sensors are in the same location as the first timing cover but this is now a rear water pump engine.

2001-'05 Escape/Tribute
This cover (c/n 1S7E) is unique to this application, which uses the rear water pump driven off the intake camshaft. It has the crank position sensor on the opposite side than the Taurus/Sable cover. Be certain the exciter crank ring is indexed for this application."

You definitely want the rear water pump version for the Escape/Mariner/Tribute. The Fusion and Milan {Zephyr, anyone?} come into the picture, but as they are newer, the rebuilders won't pay them any attention. I would think a Fusion/Milan engine might just drop in, but it would take investigation and they certainly are not as common as the Taurus/Sable engines.

Is this enough?
tom