View Single Post
Old 10-23-2003, 11:54 PM
xray1murphy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is another problem with the D44 size that is not mentioned here, and that is that the axle size is not consistant for the entire axle length. Old Broncos and 1/2 tons both had the tappered axles. The D44HD, and Ch*by 1/2 tons had a solid shaft with the larger U-joints. These are the same U-joint (297 I believe) that Ford used on their 30 spline outter axle stubs for their D60. Only the Ch*by D60s went with the 35 spline set up, inner and outer and this was not until the late 70s. Agreed that the ring, pinion, and inner bearings are stronger on the Ford D60, but as the saying goes, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, being the shared U-joint. I am not trying to provoc a theory that the D44HD is as strong as the D60, just that they share a common link that is typically the breaking point. I have sheared off and twisted the ends off of 31 spline 9" and not had a problem with my worked D44 with the axle swaps. The real problem with the D44 and D60 that cause so much carnage is those darn cup clips. To much torque, the clip flies off and the cup desides to come out shearing yokes..... They have those new U-joints that actually have a stud through the cup with a small retainer nut on top,,,,, for the whopping price of $180 a piece. OUCH, but a great Idea. Just my 2 cents

75' Bronco
00' Excursion