View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 01:03 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Try the steering box tightening trick before the ball joints. Worth a try and super easy for us pseudo mechanics! I think the dealership sees a Excursion/F250 come in and automatically says 'needs bjoints' before testing anything. Great idea to get the 2nd.
Did that long ago (months)... and it's gotten worse.
...in fact, if you search by my posts... you'll see I've done quite a bit of "fixing" up front to cure some issues.

I took the EX into a notable alignment shop... they came back with the needed parts list. I had even mentioned I thought it was the steering box... they didn't even mention it being the culprit. Said I had 1/8" of movement in my BJoints, some movement in my dropped pitman arm...etc.etc.

Get this... they quoted $1770.00 to;
- R&R pitman arm for inspection, re-install, loctite and torque
- R&R to replace upper/lower b-joints both sides
- R&R to replace drag link b-joints
- and align
... I do know this place is spendy, but they also are arrogant. Rightfully so in some aspects (the only place locally who could align a overly lifted I-beam vehicle by bending and notching I-beams and radius arms... and do so correctly). But holy crap, I nearly shat myself when the tech read me the quote price. I immediately excused myself once the $46 diagnosis fee was paid and my receipt duly noted with the work they quoted.

I came home, did some research and am trying to get the local Ford tech who does side work to get it done for me. So far, so slow. But it's okay... I'll be travelling for the next week for work, and have no time to deal with this.