View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2

Your set of keys will not match the door locks anymore, but if you are worried about that, I would take the door locks out and take them to a locksmith and get them re-programmed to match your new keys. I have done this myself on a old 57 chevy, so it's possible you could do this also with these door tumblers, but I have never messed with these type myself as far as making them fit other keys.

Be aware that with some year models and with some options groups, the ignition (Square Headed key) did not match the doors (Oval headed Key) anyway.

This goes by year, and also by options, (Security Group) etc...

On some years with the security group, the Doors, Glove Box, and Hood Release used the same oval headed key, and the ignition used a seperate square headed key.

So if your ignition key does not match the door key, and the heads of the two keys are different shapes, then this is how it was from the factory, and you cannot make the doors and ignition match without changing the door lock tumblers to the square type, as the cut of the square key is symetrically opposite to the oval one.