View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
You can't access the release pin without the key. The key needs to be inserted and the tumbler turned before it can be accessed for release.

You are going to think I am crazy, but the standard way to deal with this is to take a large screwdriver or chisel and a hammer, get behind the chrome part of the tumbler where the key goes in, and break the chrome part off. You can then access the pin and get the tumbler out. Then simply go down to the local parts store and get a new tumbler and set of keys, insert it, and you are ready to go.

Your set of keys will not match the door locks anymore, but if you are worried about that, I would take the door locks out and take them to a locksmith and get them re-programmed to match your new keys. I have done this myself on a old 57 chevy, so it's possible you could do this also with these door tumblers, but I have never messed with these type myself as far as making them fit other keys.
So I can buy the tumbler at Pep Boys or Autozone? About how much should I be prepared to spend? ty for the info