Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Here is the DMV general page:
New Vehicles or Vehicles Never Registered in California

Here is a page that tells you what is needed to register a vehicle from out of state:
California DMV HTVR9 How To Register A Out of State Vehicle Nonresident Vehicle

It appears you are correct about the 7,500 mile or less special requirements. As are as I know, all vehicles from the major manufacturers are 50 state compliant. They learned a long time ago that it was too expensive to make special vehicles just for CA. You should be able to find a sticker somewhere under the hood that says whether it is a 49 or 50 state compliant. The owners manual probably has something too.

My best advice is to be a member of AAA. They can help you do all of this in your local club office. You will find their membership fee well worth it to stay out of a DMV office.

I can also tell you that it is very expensive to register in CA, and you may have to pay some sales tax too. We are expecting our registration fees and our sales tax rate to go down on July 1st, unless they renew a temporary tax hike that is supposed to expire. Personally I think the rates are probably going to go down, at least for a while. You might save some money if you can delay this until after that date.

Wow, that is very low mileage for a MY 2008.

Good luck.