View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote=KrautBurner;10332537]thanks for the input

Headers,
I know most people are big fans of Long Tubes "Go big or go home" (I've got LT's on my 11 sec GTO),
but the way I understand it, LT's tend to scavange very well at high rpm's but you tend to loose some low end HP/TQ
and Shorty's tend to help out alot in the mid range
wouldn't Shorty's be better suited for these engines?

Timing Kit,
is there something special about a 0* or +2-3*?

Retarded timing, is well.... retarded, reversing that can net you a bit more power, 0* is just fine for a mild engine, especially towing.

ir is it just adjusting the timing gears/chain to 0*
when purchasing, id there something special to look for, or anything for the 460 will work?
You just want an adjustable timing chain set, for instance #555-20452 from jegs, $39.99, its a 3 keyway, so just install it on the key thats the advance you want.
any links for a write up on installing would be great!! destructions should come with packaging

Ignition,
what parts are weak?
the spark?, how about just throwing a bigger coil on?
(I did 8mm wires, bigger coil, and wider gapped spark plugs, as well as advanced the spark timing. on my 1990 Bronco 302 with very good results)

Everything, from spark to timing curve. Bigger wires with the power ours makes actually is hurting your spark. 8s are nothing, but 10s or 11s, well thats dumb lol. Coil is obviously a great, and cheap place to start. Bigger gaps can help, as long as it still starts ok, also when you widen the gap, you retard the timing a little. An aftermarket distributor really is a worthwhile investment on these, better timing curve, better spark, more accurate timing. Davis Unified Ignition 33820BL - Davis Unified Ignition Ford Street/Strip D.U.I. Distributors - Overview - SummitRacing.com