View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM
fraso
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by four-sixty-power
Where are the good shops that know how to work on the propane systems for our trucks? Good experiences, bad experiences, things to ask, maintenance?
  • British Columbia Propane Conversion Centres
  • Ask what kind of system they would install for you. Also ask if you could do some of the work to save on installation labour.
  • Propane systems usually require very little maintenance. You do need to keep the ignition and cooling system in top condition though.

Do most gas stations have propane available? I think they do but not too sure.
  • Most gas stations do not sell propane motor fuel and you can tell which do because they'll have a motor fuel dispenser (looks like a gasoline pump) beside the big propane cylinder.
  • The price can vary greatly from station to station so shop around.
  • See AltFuelPrices.com.

Should there be any propane smell when the truck is just sitting, is there a relief valve for hotter temperatures?
  • Nope. If you smell propane, you've got a leak.
  • Luckily, a leak is usually easy to fix.
  • The relief valve on the tank should never blow-off in normal ambient temperatures. If you've over-filled it, then theoretically it's possible.

When did the new propane filling valve become mandatory? and how to tell if I have the newer one? Is it BC-only or Canada/US-wide?
  • If you mean the auto-stop fill valve, it's been around for a long time. Often, if your vehicle has one, there won't be a spit valve (liquid level gauge) beside the fill valve.
  • I'm not sure about the USA but CSA B149.5 (Canadian Reg) requires it.

Places in BC that do not have propane, small towns, backcountry, where we do not want to be stuck?
  • If you're going to travel to places that don't have propane, maybe a dual fuel system would be better for you.
  • If you want to go straight propane, you should consider installing a large cylinder in the bed that will give you plenty of range.