Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDoodieDutyDude
Anyone have any recommendations for installers of clear paint protection film in the Dallas Fort Worth Area of TX?
I would definitely use an instructor- I had the 3M clear bra installed on my truck....the installer was a recent graduate (within 12 months), and well, just did not have their act together. I give the owner of the company great customer service referal with regards to thefact that they re-installed the product 3 times and when I was not happy they removed it and refunded the $.

The bad news...3M rep did not even respond to phone calls or e-mail in resolving the installation issue.

The good news....I went to a training center, an instructor installed it on the vehicle but.....with my concerns...

They asked the size be increased (width) so the material would not have to be stretched more than 1/8"

The lower valance piece (above the bumper) really looked ugly (cut)...the installer pointed out...and agreed to trim the piece just over the verticl lip on top to make a straight line

The bottom pieces and even the grill surround really takes two people to install in a manner that will provide and excellent, exact look.

When the installer found out I had done most of the mods (including tint) on my truck, he asked if I would assist in the install on the lower two pieces.

I can also say this, it is much easier to apply than window tint because of the thickness, but many of the companies that pre-cut the material (3M is only a bulk supplier), they cut the material requiring you to stretch the material up to 1/2" (total hood width) which is just unrealistic.....any more than 1/8" each direction is max IMHO.

There are also 2 other mfg's other than 3M who mfg this product...I helped a friend install one on his car...went on very well...no issues.

FYI...regardless of what 3M and others say about not fading, it does, and the only product I have found to restore this is to use a paint sealer, general waxes, polishes, oils, etc have no effect.