View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 05:17 AM
mitch150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n5926g
I will put in my.02 here.Some may not like it,but here goes!
First off,Modifications will ultimately hurt fuel economy.I have seen in the past folks putting on "cold air intakes",and the like to improve mileage.
The only way you are going to get the most out of your Ford is to leave it stock,and perhaps buy a ScangageII. Hook it up to your OBDII port,and drive it using the display.I bought mine from AutoZone,and while I do NOT like A/Z for anything other than oil,filters,and Batterys,it has helped change my driving habits.I also dont work for A/Z...just a firm believer in the unit itself.
Mods such as tuners,and the like will get you more,and better performance(no argument whatsoever) but will not help in the fuel economy situation. The ScangageII will readout quite a number of parameters,such as Tach,AVG trip mileage,and real time fuel usage.I personally keep my 07 all OEM,and with this unit,average around 21 mpg. It paid for itself in a month or so.I purchased the optional rear view mirror mount as well.Mounts above the mirror,and has an extension cable to the OBDII port. No wires visible,and it looks stock...You even have hundreds of background lighting options built in.
Not to step on your toes ng, but when I first got my truck I was only getting 9 to 11 mpgs highway. After doing some "mods", CAI, tuner, exhaust, bed cover, etc. I squeezed out 13 to 15 mpgs, and that was even after I put a box in the back LOADED with tools. After a bit of mileage was put on the truck, those mpgs started to drop back down. I've posted this in another thread but I will state this here as well, I just changed out the coils, injectors, plugs, fuel filter and so on (all of it was needed, 189,000 miles worth) and I've increased my mpgs to around 15 to 18 mpgs depending on how I drive, which as everyone else has stated, is a big contributing factor to what kind of mileage your going to get. I get the best mpgs on the highway with the cruise control set at 55 mph. Your mileage will drop in the winter when fuel companies put out the "winter blend" fuel, which in my opinion is just another way for the oil companies to rape us for more money with the increased stops at the gas stations.

And oh yeah, regular maintenance, oil, filters, tire pressure and the like will keep those mpgs going.