View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:23 AM
Southgate
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting pictures above. I never had any idea that the Dodge L-700 was based on a phantom (and good looking) Ford. I like the 'L"s too though. I saw this on eBay Motors a couple years ago. It went for over 60 thousand! What a cool rig!

I built this model in 1997. Pretty similar, don't you think?

But this is a C-disussion, is it not? Well, as my involvement in C ownership developes...I finally got some warm enough weather to go and work on my 700. With some buddies helping, we put an electric fuel pump in it. That 370 ran horrible. We pulled a couple plugs for a look. No wonder! Replaced all 8 of them and now it starts easily and runs smooth. One thing I didn't expect was how quiet it runs. I just kind of assumed it would be loud and obnoxious, but it's surprisingly smooth and quiet.

It still needs a master cylinder before I can drive it across town to my home. But that didn't stop me from trying out it's crane functions. It can go even higher than in this picture.

...And reaches this low:

Clowning around a bit, but the hydraulic winch operates like new. And I understand that the previous owner had it rebuilt.

All 6 functions; Left & right outriggers, elevation, extension, rotation, and winch all work smoothly. So now I have to get that master cylinder in it, and get to the paperwork, and I can bring it home. Can't wait, but I have to! Dan

Last edited by Southgate; 05-10-2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: added a little more info