Old 04-27-2011, 05:52 PM
LimeyRich
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious engine & mystery ignition problems

Hi everyone. I have a 1975 F-100 longbed with a small block and a C-6, plus Holley 600, and Holley pump, headers ,etc.This engine and trans were transplanted from another Ford vehicle by a previous owner. I am assuming from the C-6 and the ample torque and overall power exhibited that it is a 351w., and perhaps from the early eighties.
The ignition system is electronic, but I do not know which. It might be a duraspark?
It has a distributor cap which looks like an older "points" cap. Inside it has an 8 tooth "rotor" and a fairly small ignition module with a bright metal roughly rectangular magnet assembly with a blue plastic " reluctor? " , and outside vacuum advance which is plugged.
The problem I am having is ignition related. I am usually a logical troubleshooter, but this has me stumped.The truck will shut-off suddenly, just like the key is turned off, once it stops it is very hard to restart. The ignition will not fire while cranking, until you let go of the key. If the ignition is off and I use my remote starter the ignition fires normally, but no start, with the key in the run position there is no spark when using the remote starter. If one ,ahem, grasps a plug wire the spark seems quite ample The non-starting, and shut off is getting worse and more frequent, I am now afraid to leave my driveway. LOL.
I have googled this problem and it seems common, but with variations, to several Ford products. This seems to be the best informed and most sensible forum so I joined .
Perhaps you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks! Rich

Last edited by LimeyRich; 04-27-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: wrong word