View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lrd56
its 2300 miles.also i tested the f350 with a trailer load of scrap steel.10000lbs at 45 mph all the way then on the way home at 45mph the 360 put a rod thru the block.yes the oil was full.yes the rad was full .new thermostat.on the way the motor sounded good .then went to hell.so much for my 360 being a good engine .so at 45 mph how many 360s do i have to buy.to get to washington.i looked at several sites selling rebuilt engines.the cheapest price was 1200.00.plus freight.at the slowest reasonable speed.i wonder how many tickets i wiil get or be taken out of service. im thinking that in order to go up a 6 percent grade hill i will have to go to low gear then put the pedal all the way down to the floor just to do 5 mph .at 5mph or 45 mph its going to take a long time to get there.as for the olds and 6 speed it makes sense to put in the olds and 6 speed for more power and torque .more weight on the front end.just temporaly until i get rich so i can afford a high hp and a high torque bored out 460 .to get max power.im thinkiing th3 f350 need 600hp and 600ft lbs torque at least .i dont want to have to put the pedal all the way down just to do 45..i have been told that in the states im going thru its not legal to do 45 .it called impeding traffic.the first ticket cost 500.00 after that it doubles and so on.this info was given to me by law enforcement .
in california and oregon and washington.so if i have to buy another 360 im going to have to put the pedal all the way down to the floor just to go 45-55.im not trying to run a race but we cant stop for food or sleep.
the alliso 6 speed also has a trans brake that is run by a cable they call it a retarder.im going to put in a manual pedal setup and hook the cable to the clutch pedal .4th drive in the allison is 3rd4th5th6th gear the retarder shifts the allison down to 2nd drive which is 1st2nd 3rd..
by the way a oldsmobile 455 is not a moparts.
lrd56
Born and raised WA state - the minimum speed limit is 45 mph on most state freeways. On hilll climbs you can be at 30 mph at times, without being ticketed IF you are in the right lane, four ways on and keeping up with the semi's. The SP understands that there is a limit to how fast X load is going to go uo a hill. Move over to the left lane(s) and you will be, and properly I might add, given a ticket. You are a danger at that point. Keep right except to pass is the LAW.

Well, considering I can roll down flat freeways at 60mph + in my loaded C600 with a 330 gas V-8 and MT40 Allison (was a MT30, it broke and was just replaced) at 28,000 lbs total, there is no way that your 360 was running right when all you could manage was 45 mph. Now if I come to a hill, I do slow down, just like other heavily loaded trucks do. If the hill is steep enough - NOT on the freeway (min speed 45 mph), you will find me in the right lane at 9-12 mph, flashers on and just chugging up the hill. I have never been stopped once by the police. But then I am NOT trying this on a Interstate that it sounds that you have 2300 miles of.

I have also run this truck down the freeway for jaunts of up to 100 miles with a partial load (16,000 lbs total) and had been able to manage that magical 45 mph number with the exception of one rather steeper hill, one that loaded semis also drop there speed down below the "min"

That is 60 + mph at 28,000 lbs with 186 hp, 276 ft lbs of torque. I would highly recommend that you get a proper running and performing 360 before you condem all of them. You might be suprised! FYI - the 330 that I have in my C600 was the optional BIGGER engine. The standard engine was a 300 six cylinder.

As to the Allison MT30/31, 40/41/42 series, the retarder DOES NOT drop the transmission a gear. The retarder restricts the hydralic fluid from the Torque converter to create a hydralic brake of sorts and heats the fluid up in the process, which requires a very large cooler to dispell the heat. Allsions with this feature all have a light on the dash that senses overly high fluid heats and alerts the driver to no longer use the retarter.

The shift on the MT 30/31, 40/41/42 series Allison use a shift quadrant with this shift patttern R, N, 3-6, 3-5, 3-4, 1-2 No park position and four forward drive ranges. The transmission is set up to start in 3rd gear, unless the 1-2 position is manualy selected (heavy load / mud / etc)

Remember also that unlike there lighter duty transmissions the Allison MT 30/31, 40/41/42 series use a lock up Torque converter which gives much better mileage than having a "open" TC.

I hope this helps, Best of luck with your travels!

David