Old 04-17-2011, 05:42 AM
cwl7454
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 f150 ext cab w/ 4x4 "esof" on the dash; power windows, power door locks, etc.

Just adding some info to the above for everybody/anybody.

Because of remodeling project, had need to go to the dump to dispose of material. I guess because I had 4x4 the attendant sent me directly to the dump instead of to the dumpster; anyways, got to the dump area; put in nuetural, switched to 4x4 Low and proceeded to back to the actual dump position. Completed what I needed to do and drove back out thru the sand and mud etc. When I got onto the hard road, stopped, put into nuetural, foot on brake and switched to the 2High position; uh oh; would not switch out of 4x4Low. After many attempts and different procedures, ended up driving home in 4x4 low @ 25/30mph (fortunately no freeways in my area). Ended up applying 12V to shift motor on side of transfer case to get it out of 4x4 Low, but dash light still displays as being in 4x4 Low and there is an automatic shift problem, which will cause the overdrive light to flash on/off; but am still able to drive it. After reading this and many other forums, decided that it was possibly the GEM module evan tho it displayed none of the other symptons (windows, door locks, wipers, dome light). because you can see that the motor was working but not getting the volts needed and all fuses had been checked and found to be good. Only other possibility, perhaps the auctual dash switch.
Anyways, ordered the GEM module from AutoPartsCheaper for $234. w/ shipping, already programmed. Will replace this module tomarrow and let you know how I make out.

Last edited by cwl7454; 04-17-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: added "dash"