Old 04-15-2011, 09:15 AM
BiggSean
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
A glowplug won't throw a SES light on the dash unless you have a Excursion or Truck that was delivered to CA. They have a GPCM (Glow Plug Control Module) verses a GPR (Glow Plug Relay). The GPCM is configured to throw a code and trip the SES light. The relay style truck won't if its truly a GP issue. Look at this photo and you will see the relay (the one closest to the firewall). If you have two relays like the picture, then you have a non-GPCM truck and glowplug #6 (or any of your glowplugs) will not throw a code. A common problem that happens when installing the VC's is knocking off one of the injector harnesses that plugs into the top of the injector and you have a dead hole. That would throw a code and light up the SES light on the dash. The "don't worry about it" approach isn't acceptable. There's something up. You may need to take it to another shop.

On edit: yes they had to mess with the UCVH if they did injector work. That harness feeds the injectors and GP's.
I have an Excursion, which is a GPCM truck.

The code being thrown is a "P0676", which is a failure related to glow plug #6.

At this point, I can not afford to take it to another shop, due to the fact that we have dumped nearly $4,000 into it based on this job alone. I'm capable of fixing the problem myself, but as with most working professionals, I don't have much time to do so, and my wife relies on this truck to get around every day.

I am contemplating taking it to a Ford dealer to have them give us a written diagnostic to back up my opinion on what is wrong with the truck (disconnected wiring associated with the UVCH or glowplug) and presenting this to the shop.

If they claim that the problem can't possibly be related to the work they performed, or if they demand that we pay them to fix the problem, I will simply fix it myself.

This is why I have a hard time trusting mechanics. I normally do all the work (minor and major) associated with my cars, but I didn't have a lot of turbo diesel experience or the free time. I just really thing that it is reprehensible that a shop will not stand by the quality of their work and give you the middle finger when a problem associated with their work presents itself.