View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is what I did when I broken my dipstick tube off at the block when doing headers. I already had the driver side fender liner out so it made things pretty quick and easy. I drained the oil from the oil pan.
I took a cable (coaxial actually with the connector cut off) and fed about 1-2 feet worth into the remainder of the tube and into the oil pan. I then took a wire coat hanger, cut it, straightened it out and made a hook that was just small enough to fit into the oil pan plug hole but big enough to hook over the cable I fed into the pan from the dipstick tube.
I inserted the hook end into the pan and fished around until I was able to hook part of the cable. I pulled and tugged on this part of the cable until I had it out of the oil pan drain hole. Then I pulled on that piece until I had the end I fed into the dipstick tube out being careful not to pull the other end all the way into the pan (in fact I knotted it so it couldn't be pull down) .
So what I had at this point is one end of the cable starting above the broken dipstick tube and the cable running down into the oil pan and out the drain hole. Now it was a simple matter of taking a punch and driving the remainder of the dipstick tube down into the pan. Once I freed it from the block it naturally followed the cable down and out the drain hole in the oil pan.
Total cost was nothing since I had all the pieces laying around the house and it took me longer to cut the ends off the cable and make the wire hook then it did to get the dipstick tube out.