Old 04-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fusioncom
Well for a while now the overflow tank has had a small crack along the molded line. The other day on the way home it finally split and sprayed fluid all inside the motor bay.
Originally Posted by fusioncom
The truck limped into the coolant safe mode and I limped it home at about 40MPH for approx 7 miles.

This could have damaged the head gasket.

The wife has been complaining of poorer performance for a couple of months now, and I noticed it the other day. The truck almost refuses to rev past 4k and feels somewhat week even when it does.

The computer and sensors might be finding problem and is restricting the performance.

I replace the overflow tank, and thermostat and refilled with fluid. The truck still overheats...buts its hit and miss I can drive it for 10 minutes with no problems, and then other times I can drive it for 5 and it overheats.

Did you bleed all of the air from the system? You may have an air pocket in the system that won't just go away. These trucks have the front and rear heaters which can hold a lot of air by themselves.

I noticed the leak at the front of the intake manifold the other day, but didnt suspect it was enough to cause the truck to overheat.

Any leak will cause an overheating problem if it is not contantly looked after by refilling the system and bleeding the air out. when the engine is at operating temp there is a pretty substantial pressure in the sytem that will force the coolent out at any weak point and as the pressure inside goes to zero it will allow air to enter the system.

I don't smell exhaust fumes in the overflow tank, but I did notice when the wrecker guy drove the truck onto the bed it was blowing some white smoke from the tail pipe, but someone else said its possible the intake is leaking some fluid into the combustion chamber. It cleared up after about 5 seconds.
A little condensation or steam is normal on cold starts and on cold days, do the sniff test at the tailpipe and see if you smell anti-freeze. If you do there is a definate problem and it is most likely a head gasket or possibly coolant getting into the intake system.
At this point I have to suggest that you do a compression test and a leak down test You might be able to get the testing equipment at a parts store using the loaner program they have. For the leak down test you will need an air compressor to put air into each cylinder at 125 to 150 psi pressure. Don't forget to do the test for exhaust gasses in the reservoir first as that might save some time by condemning the engine head gaskets without all the other tests. A shop or person with experience on your engine should be the only one to do a head gasket job on your truck as it is pretty complex, especially for a novice. Also if you have to have 1 side done, get both sides replaced as the head bolts are probably stretched and the gaskets stressed from the overheating. The head bolts are a 1 time use only so they will have to be replaced in the job.