View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 10:59 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tomw
KhanTyranitar:

The clutches are not adjustable at all, except during assembly. They can be adjusted if the transmission is disassembled using thicker or thinner 'cover plates', or steels. The bands are adjustable, but they generally last the life of the transmission without further adjustment.
If you reread my post, thats exactly what I said, why direct your response at me when you are just agreeing.

The microscopic particles you think are sandblasting the internals of the transmission are just too small, and are entrained in the hydraulic fluid. They have a marginal propensity to wear against the internals of the transmission, and if on a load bearing surface, the fluid should, emphasize should, form a fluidic wave that separates the two piece from touching one another. The particles have no particular reason to bear on the bearing surfaces, and are not being ground against the bearing surface at all.
Wrong, the fluid will only carry the microscopic particles to a point, and once the fluid reaches saturation (approximately 30,000 miles of normal to heavy use) these particles begin to loose suspension and get deposited in various parts of the transmission. The bearings have little to worry bout since they are constantly being lubricated, forming a fluid film barrier. The valve body parts, the solenoids and valves in particular, do not receive a constant flow and the particles embed themselves where the metal valve contacts the bore. Due to the effects of gravity, they will almost always wear along the bottom of the bore.

I see you are basing most of your information of your own personal experiences, which would be fine if you were a transmission technician that actually rebuilt a lot of transmissions. I have seen a lot of failed transmissions and the internal parts that failed. Its not the bearings that go, most the problem begin in the valve body, where fluid begins leaking past a seal, often because the bore is no longer centered and has worn along one side. This causes a loss of pressure, which causes slipping, which causes heat, and sheds more friction material. The only way to prevent the problem is changing the fluid at the scheduled intervals, though upgraded internals helps. The shift kit is the best solution, not only does it reduce the slipping int he first place, but other the bores are replaced with brass ones, which are far more resistant to wear.