Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 PM
MN_FarmBoy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 Ranger - Parts for Hub & Wheel Bearing Replacement

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member to the forum. This site is amazing with all of its content. Thank you to everyone who contributes.

I need a little help on a repair. I have a '99 Ranger 4X4 with four wheel ABS. It has 121,000 miles on it. The dealer said that there is starting to be some play (top to bottom) in the right front wheel and suggested changing the hub and bearing assembly. I have read up on the instructions posted on here, but have a few more questions.

The instructions seem a little more involved for the '99 with the vacuum hubs versus some of the newer Rangers, but I have some friends who can be persuaded to give me some help on this.

Here are my questions:

1. The instructions say to purchase the following three new parts when doing the replacement - A) axle shaft retainer ring, B) o-ring, and C) thrust washer. Which of these do I really need and could someone give me the Ford part numbers to purchase? I have already ordered the hub/bearing assembly.

2. When do these bearing typically fail? Again, I have about 121,000 on the truck, and the dealer said that the right side has some play in it but the left side is tight. Should I just replace both sides while I am at it?

3. Does anyone have any other tips to make the job easier or things to make sure NOT to do (for those who have already done this). I didn't plan on purchasing any special tools as I think between my friends we can come up with enough tools to get the job done.

Thank you for your input.

-Marcus