Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 AM
b.wag
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I just removed the washer fluid reservoir from our '02 Navigator yesterday. I found this web site and thread and it helped. I think I'll hang out a while here, if y'all don't mind!

Thought I'd expand a bit on the washer reservoir-

3 bolts hold the tank on, two are easy to spot, the top one on the fender, the 2nd is between the tank and the battery. There's a small divot cast in the tank to allow access to this bolt. The 3rd one is also on the fender and is well hidden. It's towards the bottom of the tank and between the tank and the battery. You'll need a long extension to reach it. There is just barely enough roon between the A/C lines and the fender to pull the tank.

You can leave the fluid hoses connected, they're long enough to allow you to remove the tank w/ the hoses attached. As mentioned previously, you'll need a small flat blade to remove one of the elec. connectors, the other one comes out with steady pressure.

My wife thought we had a leak/crack in the tank. She's pretty sharp so I took it at face value... she reported it kept draining itself as soon as it was filled. I pulled the tank and left the hoses connected and filled it to find the leak. No leaks. I turned on the ignition and ran the wipers; nothing coming out but I hear the motor so that's good. After maybe 2 minutes I see water coming out, right at the firewall on the passenger side next to the fender. The hoses are so deeply routed ther's no way to get a visual on them. I crawled underneath but couldn't see or feel anything. I open the passenger door and the floorboard was wet! I pulled the kick plate, and started feeling around, (right where all that good electrical stuff is, like the switch for the air suspension system.) The tubing comes through there and there's a union there that had somehow completely pulled out and was just draining the tank over all the wires and onto the floorboard. put it back together and wrapped it w some elect. tape and we're good to go.

Thank goodness I decided to disassemble before buying any parts!

Now, time to fix the rear wiper motor...

Best of luck,
b.wag