View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
What They Both Said^^

I just left a reply earlier concerning low oil pressure..
"AS 86F150302 put it, stock gauges on these trucks suck. They only register @7psi and that needle can vary anywhere in between L<--->H. There is a TSB for this from Ford.

If a sender doesn't fix it, then there is a good chance the part in the instrument cluster has gone bad and you can get a replacement from LMC. They are proud of them so you might keep your eyes open for a used one."

You are gonna get more than just a few opinions concerning synthetic/dino oil and oil filters.

I don't know what type oil you have been using/why you used it/how long you have used it. The truth behind synthetic oil, is that it's good. It's expensive. It can reduce friction and gain fuel economy. Question is do you want to spend the extra dollar or for royal purple, several dollars more per quart?

I'm gonna get flamed for this statement because so many myths/facts exist because so many different people have had different experiences with Synthetic oil.

One Myth Vs. Fact: Synthetic oil caused my truck to leak around all the gaskets and seals. I have read many articles about this and I cannot say to the least it has caused either one of my trucks to leak oil past gaskets and seals. One has 125K miles and the other 159K miles. One runs Mystic 15w-50 Synthetic Blend, the other runs Valvoline Racing 10w-30. I have run Synthetic, Synthetic Blend, High Mileage oil, and regular dino oil--> Castrol, Motocraft, Delo, Rotella, Trop Artic, Valvoline, Havoline, Mobil.

The only oil I ever had problems with, and it sounded like rolling (2) Large Ball Bearing in my hand, was (Shell) Rotella 5w-40, Fully Synthetic. I never used it again. I don't know why and so that's the truth about that.

I have read many articles that have said clearly, "If you have always done proper routine maintance, regulary oil changes, tune-up's, you should be fine when switching to synthetic oil. If you have done the complete OPPOSITE to proper maintance, then DON'T." Synthetic oil is great at keeping an Engine's internals clean and from reading different articles, it's really good at cleaning sludge from the areas around the gaskets that are gunked and charred up, therefore dislodging that sludge and then seeping pass the cracks in the gaskets and seals.
Like I said...I'm more than likely gonna get flamed from die hard believers in leaking past gsakets and seals. But truth is.....How many times have you seen a truck or car with leaky seals and gaskets after 10-15-20 years????...If I said tomorrow it started making my truck leak, if I tell everyone Synthietic did it...the cycle starts again.

Oil Filters...FRAM IS TERRIBLE!!! I cannot stress that enough and I'm Glad we live in the 21st century with Internet. Pictures of Collasped Fram filters and before and after oil changes have helped me convice more and more people not to use them, EVER. When Oreilly's runs there Oil and filter change with a Fram filter included, I tell them to keep the junk oil filter and give me a Wix or Purolator. It saddens me to see someone pick up a Fram filter when a Motorcraft filter i just a couple of feet from them. I also use SuperTech oil filters from Wal-Mart and they are Manufactured by Champion Labs. They have showned to have good internal contruction/material and a good pleat count for filtration.

Sorry For the Long Post but that is my 2 cents and if anyone has any questions I would be inclined to hear them, since that is why we are here, To learn and to Help others Learn as Well.