View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Truckland
When I purchased the truck, the dealership sent offers for discounted "first service", of which I took advantage. So if there is DEF in the fuel, they did it. Then again, that was several thousand miles ago so it's not likely. I'm not far from my next DEF fill up.

I also use a high volume fuel station under a global brand name in an effort to keep moisture to a minimum and good fuel in the tank. I would have to assume that there would be a pile of diesel trucks in southeast Texas in for service if it was an issue with their fuel. I spent a large chunk of change on the truck and make every effort to keep it in top shape.

I did months of research before purchasing the truck. I have a few buddies with 6.4L's and horror stories that begged me to stay away from Ford. In the end, I was trading a '07 5.7L Tundra gasser that was a newly designed engine when I bought it and I had zero issues. After owning five new GM PU's before the Toyo, I couldn't stand the thought of buying a Gov't Motors truck. It seems Dodge has the proven engine, but they can't deliver all the safety features of Ford or GM. So...

I was trading a TT for a 5th wheel and needed higher towing capacity and plenty of torque. I found what I wanted in the 6.7L and have AC seats to weird out my friends as a bonus.

Hopefully this is indeed a fluke and the next 200k miles will be worry free.
I absolutely know where you are coming from. My brother has a 2008 F350 diesel and has had a number of issues over the past year. Despite his warnings, I too took the plunge. Although I haven't had any issues, I also only have a little over a 1,000 miles on her (knock on wood).

I get sick to my stomach when I read posts like this because I know my $60k truck could be next. I started a thread called "Controversial Thread" to begin tracking these issues. I get the sense that there are a lot more issues than are being reported. The reality is that owners on this forum are a small subset of the overall owner population. Also, Ford is under no obligation to report non safety related annual failure rate data. Therefore, the only way we know of the magnitude of problems is through forums like these.

I have been a long time truck owner and have seen my fair share of problems. That said, I typically gauge a "good" truck from a "bad" truck by my level of confidence that the truck is reliable. A new truck should be completely reliable. After the first year of normal usage, I have come to expect some level of issues. The more the issues, the less likely I will buy again.

I too drank the grape drink, but I also have the antidote (sell the truck).