View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Beach_Bob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homepride
Hey bwestcott,

I struggle with the massive registration fees every time I renew. One way I justify the extra cost of the commercial insurance and registration is peace of mind. I would fear using the vehicle in a manner that it is not properly registered for in the case of an accident, especially an injury accident. If you were overloaded or transporting goods or equipment it is very clear that this is intended for working purposes. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I do not know the exact fines for not having the information displayed on the truck. I do not think that a company phone number is a requirement, just a company name. Maybe this would keep your number off the streets if desired. Lots of workers use work vehicles for personal transport to and from work. I don't believe that one pick-up would land you in trouble as you are entitled to get to and from work. I think the issue would be if you had more than one vehicle and if any vehicle was over a certain size, like a 5 ton truck or something.

Hopefully some of the Alberta experts weigh in for you with some exact details. I do bet that as far as fines go it would be cheaper to ignore the rules, but I prefer to be prepared.
I'm not against paying the extra fees for commercial registration; its more an issue of being caught up in the side issues of a commercial vehicle. Mainly that it becomes a "heavy vehicle" and has to stick to truck routes, can't park on city streets, etc.

In the grand scheme of things, the extra $200 or so for annual registration is no big deal; well worth it in terms of peace of mind. I'm really much more concerned about keeping peace in my neighbourhood. I live here too, which is one of the reasons I try to keep my vehicle looking just like everyone else's.