View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
429CJ-3X2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just replaced the shift tube in our '93 after work yesterday. Took me maybe 3 hours actual work time. I had a couple of lengthy breaks/interuptions. Not a bad job - for a 10 year old contortionist. But I'm 6'3" and 55 yrs old. Wasn't moving very fast this morning! You can maybe get to the 2 screws at the bottom of the column from the top once the column is dropped, but my wrists don't bend that way. They aren't bad to get to to tighten, but to remove and replace, they're a pain. Spent way too much time on the floor reaching up getting them in and out. The job is pretty self explanatory as you go. It really isn't bad except for getting positioned for those screws.

The lock cylinder didn't want to cooperate going back in. Don't force it. It eventually popped right in.

Check shifter operation as you reassemble - before bolting the column back in place. Do not overtighten the bolts holding the tube in place, or you won't be able to move the shifter.

I assumed new parts would be priced out of my budget, but the Dorman part #905-100 was $28.99 at O'Reilly's. The outer tube looks pretty much just like the original. The inner piece is a cheaper cast piece, with reinforcement ribs cast in, instead of a solid rod like the original. It doesn't look to have that much stress on it, so should be ok.