View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 02:53 AM
theWeezL
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It drove like a new truck and had near perfect compression, so after getting it home and fixing the waterfall of oil coming from the oil filter adapter I thought I had fixed the worst of its issues. I took it for its first big voyage into town and was lucky to have made it home. Well the problem turns out that due to it sitting for long period and then being cold started alot it had an oil pressure problem and a rear main seal leak. I decided I would go ahead and pull the motor and give it a decent refresh, fix a few leaks, replace the bearings, fix some broken exhaust studs, finish the de-smog, clean and paint and put it all back together.

So, she needed to come out...

Prepped to pick:

Just cleared the core support, Its a little nerve racking having over 700lbs that high in the air all by yourself.

but out she came nevertheless:

Got the bottom end apart and there was very little surprises except for the nice nick in one of the rod journals that obviously happened at the factory during assembly. It caused the #1 rod bearing to become scored. This motor has never been opened until now, the bearings were Ford stamped.

Main bearings are definately worn, but crank looks great and mic's out fine. Im just going to hand polish the journals and go .001 undersize bearings.

I prepped the block for a fresh coat of paint using professional strength oven cleaner overnight, followed by a mineral spirit rinse and wire brushing.

and a fresh couple of coats of Ford Gray later:

My "boss" watching over me making sure I do a good job:
(shee seems to have that "shouldnt you be working?" look in her eyes)