View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 02:52 AM
theWeezL
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nuttin' fancy - 87 F250 460 mini-resto

I picked this truck up because I needed something immediately and it was dirt cheap ($500), I needed a tow rig and it had extremely low miles for its age. The clock shows 62K. The carfax neither confirms nor denies because the previous owners never reported mileage, but it scores a 63 on the autocheck score.

As the 3rd owner I was told by the 2nd owner that the original owner swore its odo is original and not rolled. Further evidence is a receipt in the glovebox for the upper radiator hose that was replaced at 40K miles in 1998, and the hose still has the "carquest" sticker on it in perfect shape. The only other reciepts in the glovebox was an alignment done at 34K miles done in '95. Im inclined to believe the mileage is accurate.

This is the day I got it:

First thing to go was the stupid camper shell. Its a bit more respectable this way.

The paint was oxidized pretty badly all over, and its been acid etched pretty badly:

There was alot of moss and other good old "Oregon Green" growiing all over it:

Its an early 87, last of the carburated 460's. FI would get a little better mileage, but it wouldnt be as fun to clean up and modify a little.

Here I went ahead and stripped most of the extraneous smog equip.:

The interior in this truck is damn near flawless and as close to an original after 24 years as Ive ever seen. It even has the AM only radio. The only thing non-factory is a dealer installed add on cruise control on the signal stalk.

The paint was savable for the most part, here is a test section done:

and a full body shot after the first once over. I plan to work on it a bit more once the weather warms up this spring. Jody the shop dog was telling me not to take the picture until after I straightened the bumper,but I got to that later: