Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/)
-   -   Automatic to Manual Transmission conversion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/99869-automatic-to-manual-transmission-conversion.html)

randallc 02-22-2003 09:30 PM

Automatic to Manual Transmission conversion

Hey guys, I want to do an Automatic to Manual Transmission conversion and need to know a few things if you don't mind...

I have a 1990 F-150 2WD Automatic. I want a manual transmission instead.

I have started to look for rebuilt transmissions in the paper and have come across a few that seem like a good deal. There are quite a few C-6 transmissions available... What is a C-6? Is it somthing good? is it a manual or an automatic?

Is there a certian transmission I should keep my eyes open for? And what should I avoid?

When doing a conversion like this, what else will I need to do? New computer, make a hole for the shifter, clutch, etc...

I am going to have a shop do it for me, but I just want to be sure I have everything I need before I start. I have also found that a few weeks of asking questions before I go ahead with somthing like this helps alot.

Any help would be great.

Thx
Randall
:-X01

Boss_358 02-22-2003 11:42 PM

Originally posted by randallc
Hey guys, I want to do an Automatic to Manual Transmission conversion and need to know a few things if you don't mind...

I have a 1990 F-150 2WD Automatic. I want a manual transmission instead.

I have started to look for rebuilt transmissions in the paper and have come across a few that seem like a good deal. There are quite a few C-6 transmissions available... What is a C-6? Is it somthing good? is it a manual or an automatic?

The C6 is a heavy duty three speed automatic.

Is there a certian transmission I should keep my eyes open for? And what should I avoid?

You have to take into consideration what you want and how much you want to spend. Do you want overdrive? Do you do a lot of towing? The plus is your truck is 2wd and will make things a lot easier without a T-case in the way. The M5OD and ZF are both 5 speed over drive transmissions. The ZF comes in being better by being stronger and having a granny low to go with the overdrive.

When doing a conversion like this, what else will I need to do? New computer, make a hole for the shifter, clutch, etc...

You will need the clutch pedal set-up of course. This includes slave cylinder if thats what you want to use. You should not have to cut any holes. There should be a panel under the carpet in the tranny hump. You should be able to find one at a bone yard that is already cut or you can cut yours to work. You will possibly have to have your drive shaft modified. No computer changes should be necessary.

I am going to have a shop do it for me, but I just want to be sure I have everything I need before I start. I have also found that a few weeks of asking questions before I go ahead with somthing like this helps alot.

Any help would be great.

Thx
Randall
:-X01

randallc 02-23-2003 12:16 AM

Thank you for the great response...

First of all, what is a slave cylinder? and are you sure that I don't need a new computer? I have seen posts about getting a chip that will improve automatic shift response, this sounds to me that the computer does have some kind of controll over the transmission.

Again, thx for the help.

Randall

Boss_358 02-23-2003 02:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by randallc
[B]Thank you for the great response...

First of all, what is a slave cylinder?

A slave cylinder is a hydraulic unit that operates the clutch rather than a cable or a linkage style mechanism. It operates on brake fluid and can either have a pump on the inside of the bell housing or a unit mounted to the outside with a plunger that pushes the clutch fork which I am more familiar with. A slave cylinder should be easily adaptable to your truck. You might have a hole with a plug where it is supposed to go. Go walk through some bone yards and find some trucks with this unit to see where everything should go.

and are you sure that I don't need a new computer? I have seen posts about getting a chip that will improve automatic shift response, this sounds to me that the computer does have some kind of controll over the transmission.
QUOTE]

The computer only controls the shifts in an automatic transmission. It does nothing to a manual whatsoever. Hence the term MANUAL. You shift when you want to. The chips are to firms shifts and change shift RPM's in automatics. This has no affect on a manual at all. The only wires going into a manual tranny should be for the back up lights. The only thing that I think would happen if you take out your auto tranny is an engine light may come on because the computer is not getting any feedback from a transmission. This may not happen though. Either way the computer would not be affected and the engine should not perform any differently.

Boss_358 02-23-2003 02:43 AM

What are you using the truck for? Since it is two wheel drive you might be able to get away with using a mustang 5 speed or something like it. The last time I checked mustangs were still using cable type clutches. Does anyone know if they still do?

randallc 02-23-2003 02:53 AM

Well, I am not towing anything right now.. I may in the future tow my impala arind to car shows, but thats not for a while. I am trying to build it as a semi performance tuck. You know... not totaly tricked out, but a few things done to it to give it more resoponse and kick :) A Mustang Transmission sounds good, but I have a 351W. Would a mustang transmission work on a 351? I dont need the slave cylinder and prefer cables. (less to go wrong and easier to fix.)

Boss_358 02-23-2003 03:44 AM

Would a mustang transmission work on a 351?

Yes the 5.0 mustang transmissions will work. Actually the newer ones should too since the bellhousing should still be interchangeable. The 5.0 stangs have the same pattern as your 351. The new Modular or 4.6 engines are different. There were Borg warner T5's installed and also Tremec transmissions in the high performance mustangs like the cobras. The only thing about these tranny's is they probably will not work well for towing in the long run. A good towing transmission would be the ZF 5 speed. Or if you are on a budget the M5od might work ok but does not have the granny low gear. Both of these transmissions will use hydraulic clutches.

randallc 02-23-2003 12:00 PM

I think I will take a look into the options of getting a Mustang transmission. I guess the only thing I really have to worry about now is modifing my driveshaft.