Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Cleaning a bag filter??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/998295-cleaning-a-bag-filter.html)

JTSTOY 10-04-2010 09:07 PM

Cleaning a bag filter???

Can anyone give me some tips on how to clean a bag filter? I just picked one (100 mic) up for my 275 gallon tote and plan on using them for magnesol filtering. But after about 25 gallons going through it into my tote tank its ready to be cleaned. So any sugestions?

TurnerBioDiesel 10-05-2010 12:46 PM

100 micron is kinda small for a one time pass. I would start at 400 then 100 micron. When i was using bag filters that seemed to work for me. It made the smaller micron go a little further. I also used brake cleaner in a spray can to clean the bag. that should work for a wile but can be a pain. Filter bags are meant to be thrown away after full. That can get spendy.

armstrongfordtrucks 10-05-2010 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just get a filter like this. It has done 300 gal so far. This set up cost me 150.00

JTSTOY 10-06-2010 12:42 AM

Hey armstrong, is that how you are filtering your raw wvo? or is that how your filtering magnesol? It looks kinda dark?

I use the 100 mic bag filter on my tote tank to pre filter my wvo before I get ready to pump it over to my processor. But the darn thing just plugs up on me. Its a pain to clean the long filter bags when they get loaded with gunk.

Thanks for your help!

Rushmore X 10-06-2010 09:53 AM

Only filtering to 100 micron? Fabman recommended filtering down to 1 micro when using Magnesol...

binuya 10-06-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JTSTOY (Post 9407416)
Hey armstrong, is that how you are filtering your raw wvo? or is that how your filtering magnesol? It looks kinda dark?

I use the 100 mic bag filter on my tote tank to pre filter my wvo before I get ready to pump it over to my processor. But the darn thing just plugs up on me. Its a pain to clean the long filter bags when they get loaded with gunk.

Thanks for your help!

I am a bit unclear as to what you are using the 100 micron filter for. Your first post mentioned using it to filter Magnesol. Like Rushmore X said, 100 micron is way too coarse.

If you are using the 100 micron bag filter for your wvo prior to processing into bio, that's overkill. (Unless there's some other reason you are choosing to do this) I use hardware store window screening to filter my wvo prior to processing. It's all you need. Cheap too.

TurnerBioDiesel 10-06-2010 11:54 AM

oops, Should or read that closer. 100 micron will not work for magnasol. I would use a 1 micron or a centrifuge.

armstrongfordtrucks 10-06-2010 03:10 PM

2 micron water/fuel sep from summit racing. that is wmo.

JTSTOY 10-06-2010 05:29 PM

Ok guess I should clarify a bit. I pickup my oil from a couple spots, and its decent but always has stuff floating in it. So as it goes into the storage tote I poured it through a 100 mic bag filter that's about 14 inches long. The raw oil sits in the tote till I need to make a batch.
Then from the storage tote I pump to my processor.

I just got thinking about trying to use magnesol, and everyone on here seems to be filtering the mag in a 3 part filter setup. Everyones mic ratings seem to differ a bit, yet I'm only trying to figure out the proper ways of cleaning a filter bag. Whether its wvo or magnesol on the bag how should they be cleaned? to

JTSTOY 10-06-2010 06:02 PM

Ok guess I should clarify a bit. I pickup my oil from a couple spots, and its decent but always has stuff floating in it. So as it goes into the storage tote I poured it through a 100 mic bag filter that's about 14 inches long. The raw oil sits in the tote till I need to make a batch.
Then from the storage tote I pump to my processor.

I just got thinking about trying to use magnesol, and everyone on here seems to be filtering the mag in a 3 part filter setup. Everyones mic ratings seem to differ a bit, yet I'm only trying to figure out the proper ways of cleaning a filter bag. Whether its wvo or magnesol on the bag how should they be cleaned? to

Rushmore X 10-08-2010 09:06 PM

I'm trying turning mine inside out and using a pressure washer next time mine needs cleaning. maybe next weekend if I run another batch. will pass on how it works...

jeep1947 10-18-2010 02:48 PM

Turn them inside out get the big lumps off with a garden hose. Take them to a laundry mat and wash them with detergent just like a load of clothes.